Kasatkina advances to 2nd round of Wuhan Open

WUHAN, China — Daria Kasatkina recorded her first victory over Lesia Tsurenko in three attempts in the first round of the Wuhan Open on Sunday as US Open champion Naomi Osaka was forced to pull out of the tournament due to a viral illness.

Kasatkina, the No. 13 seeded Russian, defeated her Ukrainian opponent 6-4, 7-5 to set up a second round match against either Bernarda Pera or the US Open junior champion and qualifier Wang Xiyu.

No. 7-ranked Osaka withdrew from the tournament after losing in the final of the Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo on Sunday with lucky loser Polona Hercog replacing her in the main draw.

"I'm very sorry to have to withdraw from Wuhan. I look forward to playing in Wuhan next year," Osaka said in a statement.

Earlier this week, former top-ranked Victoria Azarenka also pulled out after she was forced to retire in the quarterfinals in Tokyo due to a viral illness.

In other first round matches, the Chinese duo of Zheng Saisai and Zhang Shuai won their first round matches.

Zhang stunned Australian Samantha Stosur 6-2, 6-2 while Zheng defeated American Danielle Collins after losing the first set 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Julia Goerges, Monica Puig, Katerina Siniakova and Aliaksandra Sasnovich also advanced to the second round.

Must Read

The Latest: Trump vows to change 'one-side and...

Nov 9, 2017

President Donald Trump is vowing to change "one-sided and unfair" trade relations with China but...

Communist Party will regulate China's media, film...

Mar 23, 2018

The Communist Party is taking direct control of China's broadcasters and will regulate everything...

Disney emphasizes China roots in Shanghai amid...

Apr 26, 2018

Walt Disney Co. highlights deep China connections as it launches an extension of Shanghai's $5.5...

China sentences Tibetan activist to 5 years for...

May 22, 2018

China has sentenced a Tibetan language activist to five years in prison for inciting separatism...

Ai Weiwei says China authorities raze his Beijing...

Aug 4, 2018

Chinese artist Ai Weiwei says authorities have begun razing his Beijing studio

Sign up now!

Advertisement